Posts for: May, 2018
As much as you may wish it would, bunion and foot pain won’t go away on its own. You have to fix the source of the problem to get any long-term relief. A podiatrist at Advanced Podiatry of Needham in Needham, MA, has a solution for your bunions and recommendations for how you can avoid them reoccurring.
Struggling with Bunions
Though bunions appear to be harmless bumps on the inside surfaces of the feet, they are actually bone deformities that can cause consistent, persistent pain and swelling. The pain is usually felt on or around the bunion itself, but it can also be felt in the toe joints.
How to Relieve Pain from Bunions
The best course of action for bunion pain is to immediately seek treatment with a podiatrist to see if a targeted therapy will help. Here are a few ways that a podiatrist in Needham can help get calm your foot pain due to bunions:
- Realign the bunions with surgery (bunionectomy), splinting, and/or orthotic therapy.
- Administer corticosteroid injections at pain sites.
- Practice exercises and physical therapy of the foot to relieve pain.
Dealing with Bunions Going Forward
It’s important to be aware of what caused your case of bunions, whether it was a foot deformity from childhood or the type of shoes you wear every day. That way you can avoid having them form again. Here are some tips on how to avoid bunion pain:
- Wear doctor-prescribed custom fit orthotics in your shoes everyday—especially when you’re planning to do a lot of walking or standing.
- Wear padding between the toes to help keep them properly aligned.
- Visit your podiatrist regularly for foot exams to ensure the bunion doesn’t return or worsen.
It’s hard to feel motivated to get through your day when your feet are throbbing with pain due to bunions. Get a podiatrist at Advanced Podiatry of Needham in Needham, MA, to help. Call (781) 444-4044 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael Mitry.